The summer months are right around the corner and as we all saw last year the fires outside of city limits become more of an issue. Soon though being able to just start a controlled fire will be a thing of the pass with out a permit. 

Fires can be extremely dangerous anywhere but especially right outside the Treasure Valley where last year the sparks from an illegal firework sparked one of the worst fires the city has seen on Table Rock. Now this was an "accident" by the Idaho Department of Lands (IDL) is placing a ban on all fires even controlled burns with out a permit.

Michelle Heart/TSM Boise
Michelle Heart/TSM Boise

The permit can be obtained for free at the IDL's website at and is good for up to 10 days. Obtaining this permit will allow farmers and land owners to legally conduct a controlled fire on their property and notify local fire managers of the fire in the area and in case something were to happen its logged a plan could be easily made to control the out of hand fires.

Idaho law (38-115) requires any person living outside city limits anywhere in Idaho who plans to burn anything - including crop residue burning and excluding recreational campfires - during closed fire season to obtain a fire safety burn permit.

The IDL also suggests that all residents in and outside city limits notify the correct departments before any type of burn or controlled burn as some rural and small townships require additional permits that the new permit does not cover.

Burning season kicks off May 10th to October 20th. For more info see

More From Mix 106