Remember These?! Check Out This Blast from the Not so Far Past!
Recently I was forced to come to terms with the fact that I was getting older when the cool things I remember having growing up were located in the museum of technology. It doesn't even feel like it was that long ago that we used these items almost every day!
Have you ever had to explain a cassette tape to an 8 year old that had never seen one before? Well recently I had to untangle my cousin from a distressed cassette tape and explain to him what it was used for and it got me thinking. What things from the past are kids from this generation going to miss out on? This is the list I came up with, feel free to share yours!
1. Cassette Tapes- I still have the Macarena as well as ZZtop's Afterburner tapes in mint condition! I even listen to them occasionally.
2. VCR and VHS- I refuse to buy my Disney movies on DVD or Blu-Ray because I still have all of them on VHS! Plus, those VHS tapes still remember where I left off last time I watched them!
3. Payphones- With the widespread use of cell phones, payphones have been taken out of most public places. I remember my mom sending me with change in my pocket to call her from the payphone at school when I needed a ride home from Volleyball.
4. Land lines- A lot of people don't even have these anymore because everyone in their family has a cellphone. My dad still has one, and my mom kept hers until my brother had a cell phone. I kind of miss not having a land line. It was so nice when people couldn't get a hold of me at all hours of the day.
5. Caller ID boxes- Do you remember when your family first got one of these bad boys? You had the cool house if you could tell who was calling you before you answered the phone!
6. Rotary Phones- I was just a little girl when my Great Grandparents had one of these in their house. I remember learning to dial 911 on one of these. I look back now and think of how much time those 3 digits took to dial!
7. Walkmans- I had one of these until high school, and even at that point I was outdated. Everyone was getting MP3's and iPods while I was trucking around a Walkman and had to carefully choose what CD I wanted to listen to for the day. I actually saw one of them at Wal-Mart the other day, so I know they are still around!
8. Pagers- I remember my dad having to use one of these for work and it would rattle the whole house when it went off.