What We Know About Alleged Idaho Murderer Bryan Kohberger
Moscow, Idaho. Four University of Idaho students were found slain in their off-campus residence on Sunday, Nov. 14, 2022.
The quadruple homicide astonished Idahoans and Americans across the nation. Nearly two months have passed since the four Vandals were taken from their loved ones.
The nation remembers Kaylee Goncalves, 21, of Rathdrum, Idaho; Madison Mogen, 21, of Coeur d’Alene, Idaho; Ethan Chapin, 20, of Conway, Washington; and Xana Kernodle, 20, of Avondale, Arizona.
Photo Credit: KTVB7 YouTube // Canva
Authorities had few details and leads to share in the weeks following the grizzly murders. While the hushed investigation was met local and national frustration, Moscow detectives said there was little to share until a person of interest emerged.
THE alleged murderer
Over the last few days, that person has emerged. Investigators, mainstream media outlets, and social media platforms have turned their attention to alleged murderer, Bryan Kohberger.
WHAT we know
- Kohberger returned home to PA. for Christmas. His dad joined him on the ride home from WA. to PA., but authorities have not indicated if he's a person of interest at this time.
- An anonymous source told CNN they had encountered the father and son on their road trip. The source claims to have "engaged in a friendly conversation" with the two at an auto mechanic shop on Dec. 16 in PA, but noted the son was "a little awkward."
- He was arrested in Monroe County, PA. on Friday, Dec.30, 2022 by the Moscow, ID. Police Department and the Latah County Prosecutor’s Office. The warrant was issued for four counts of first-degree murder.
- Kohberger's lawyer described his client as "very intelligent," and confirmed his understanding as the investigation's lead suspect.
- According to the school's Facebook page, he earned his undergraduate and graduate degrees from DeSales University in PA.
- He is currently a PhD student in Washington State University's Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology.
- The 28-year-old was born and raised in Effort, PA.
- Throughout most of Kohberger's childhood, his parents were employed by Pleasant Valley School District.
- Authorities have confirmed Kohberger's DNA matches DNA recovered from the crime scene.
- Moscow Police Chief James Fry told ABC News his team of investigators received approximately 400 calls one hour after his arrest was made public.
- Prior to his arrest in connection with the quadruple homicide, Moscow Police reported one previous interaction with Kohberger. It was a traffic citation for not wearing a seatbelt while driving in his white Elantra.
- Police have yet to recover the murder weapon believed to be a "fixed-blade-knife."
- Police have yet to confirm the alleged murderer's motive.
- Once the probable cause affidavit is unsealed, the public will be made aware of Kohberger's activities following the Nov. 14 homicides.
The following gallery features photos from the vigil hosted by the University of Idaho in remembrance of the victims.