Idaho's curvaceous contours, magical mountains, and bright blue alpine lakes make it a must-see for American outdoor enthusiasts. Conservationists, on the other hand, appreciate the Gem State for its phenomenal wildlife presence and biodiversity.
For some, all it takes is one visit for an intrepid tourist to transform into a transplant. But what happens when their wanderlust wanes and their infatuation simmers? What then? We're fairly certain we know. Time and again, we've stood by as one transplant after another gave up planting roots the moment Idaho soil showed the slightest resistance. Before you make the switch to Idaho living, we're prepared to help you decide if its the right fit for you, and vice versa.
6 Pros to Know Before You Move to Idaho
1. Idaho is immaculate! From our pristine lakes to our pursuit of sustainable, environmentally-conscious living, Idahoans are Clean Jeans!
2. Most of Idaho's best living is done outdoors. Hiking, bouldering, traversing down the Snake River, or floating the Boise River are but a few of our fantastic features.
3. You've got a friend in us! Contrary to the hyperbole so often associated with Idaho's alleged disdain for Californians, we're actually some of the kindest, most welcoming folks in the Pacific Northwest.
4. We're hard workers. Idaho's unemployment rate is remarkably low! The first quarter of 2022 saw a historically low seasonally adjusted unemployment rate of 2.7% back in March—the lowest rate ever recorded since the IDL started keeping books in 1976! One month after Idaho’s unemployment rate "hit pan," HWOL reported “2.1 job openings for every unemployed Idahoan looking for work.”
5. Our crime rate is also remarkably low! According to one source, "In 2022, there were 1.6 violent crimes per 1,000 people, down from 2.3 the previous year. Property crime is very low here, with 2.2 property crimes per 1,000 people in 2022, compared to 3.4 in 2021." Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that 60% of Idahoans are registered and responsible firearm owners...just a thought.
6. Idaho is firing on all cylinders! Our Gem State economy is number one, and a real gem if we're being honest! Despite Ben Franklin's moody gaze, we're sure he's proud of our economic achievement!
When you put it all together, this is what Idaho living is all about. Intrigued? Flirting with the temptation to know more?
Browse through our brilliantly illustrated galleries that highlight the merits of life in Idaho.