Is Idaho Home to the Nation’s Longest Living People?
IDAHO LIFE EXPECTANCY by resident
According to 2020 data released by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Idaho's average life expectancy is 78.4 years. Fast-forward to 2023, and World Population Review's newest data confirms Idaho's life expectancy hasn't budged a single year.
IDAHO LIFE EXPECTANCY by county
Data from a 2022 County Health Rankings & Roadmaps study evaluated and compared the life expectancies of 16 counties throughout the Gem State.
The 2022 study utilizes the following to determine life expectancy:
- The county's average number of years from birth a person can expect to live
- A calculation based on the number of deaths during that time period in the county
- The average number of people at risk of dying during that period within the county
While no single metric can account for an entire county's physical well-being, we know factors such as "access to health care, clean air, clean water, and affordable housing, contribute significantly to the general health and wellbeing of the entire population."
IDAHO'S 7 LONGEST-LIVING counties
7. Ada County average life expectancy: 80.8 years
6. Adams County average life expectancy: 80.9 years
5. Boise County average life expectancy: 81.8 years
4. Latah County average life expectancy: 82.8 years
3. Teton County average life expectancy: 83.5 years
2. Valley County average life expectancy: 83.5 years
1. Blaine County average life expectancy: 85.2 years
SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: MRS. CHRYSTAL LEOLA HARPER, age one hundred eleven
Chrystal Leola Harper (née Uhrig), was born 28 Jun. 1905 and laid to rest 11 Dec. 2016. A rare centenarian, her lovely lifetime spanned 111 years and 166 days.
Born in Stanton, Idaho, Chrystal grew up in Blaine County, Idaho, known around the world for the "quality and beauty of its natural environment and recreational opportunities."
At the age of 19, Chrystal married the love of her life, Ed Alfred Harper, on 15. Sept. 1924. While the two had no children, the Harpers enjoyed 35 wonderful years of marriage before Ed passed away in 1959.
Mrs. Harper is currently thought to be the oldest known centenarian in the Gem State, however, according to Gerontology Wiki, verification is still pending. Today, she is laid to rest alongside her sweetheart in Bellevue, Idaho.