Seven Idaho Spots for Unique Potato Dishes
There's no denying that we love our potatoes in Idaho. We have them everywhere - from our license plates to our New Year's Potato Drop. It's also a stereotype we all try to steer away from. I can recall plenty of conversations with our out-of-state relatives and friends in which I've tried to tell them we really DO have more than just potatoes here! Still, there's no denying - spuds are our thing. Here are seven local restaurants that are putting a unique spin on our state's favorite crop:
- Bittercreek Alehouse - Bittercreek, located on 8th Street in downtown Boise, is definitely known for their beer. What many people don't know is that their potatoes are sourced locally from H&H Heath Farms and Kings Crown Organics and they make some of the best poutine south of the Canadian border!
- Calle 75 - When Calle 75 started back in 2008, they existed only as a cart at the Capital City Public Market on Saturdays. Today they have two brick-and-mortar locations in addition to the cart, all serving up their famous "Idaho Potato Taco" made with local potatoes, poblano peppers, onion, and fresh pico de gallo.
- Bear Island Brewing - Did you know that Bear Island makes an Idaho Potato Beer? Seriously, they do - and it's pretty darn good! You can find this tasty refreshment at Eureka! on 8th Street and Gas Lantern on Fulton.
- Richard's - When Chef Richard Langston moved from his location in the North End to the new Inn at 500, he decided to keep some of the trattoria's classic dishes on the menu. One of these is his delicious waffle-cut Yukon Gold potato chips with truffle salt - a fan favorite that can be snagged for only $3 during Happy Hour!
- Blue Tiger - If you haven't had the chance to try Blue Tiger in Meridian yet, you need to ASAP. One bite of their pizza will leave you craving more! One of their most unique pies is the Bacon and Eggs pizza which showcases thin sliced potatoes, applewood smoked bacon, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, provolone, and fried eggs.
- Parrilla Grill - This Hyde Park spot is a great place to watch a game and they have some really good grub to snack on while you do. Their Idaho Nachos are a must-try for any potato fan, featuring tortilla chips, black beans, Gaucho cheese sauce, cheddar-jack, sour cream, cilantro, and tater tots.
- Piper Pub - Piper is one of my favorite spots to people watch in the summer with their second floor balcony overlooking 8th Street. They also have a buy one, get one Happy Hour and, for you bacon lovers - the Bacon Bleu Cheese Potato Stack.