National Homemade Soup Day! Celebrate With An Idaho Classic
Maybe food is on my mind more these days because I'm trying to live a healthier lifestyle, but when I saw tomorrow, February 4th, is National Homemade Soup Day I was excited to incorporate a soup into my meal plan tomorrow. I think soup is often underrated. It gets dismissed as just a starter dish or a lazy dish (just throw everything in a pot), but soup is comforting and filling when done right. And I'm of the faction of people who love soup year round. I don't let summer weather stop me from consuming a hearty soup.
So check your pantry and fridge tonight and see if you've got the proper ingredients to make Loaded Baked Idaho® Potato Soup. If not, head to the store bright and early and grab what you need so you can have it for dinner.
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 1/2 onion, small diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken stock or base
- 5 Idaho® baking potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 quart heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch chives, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, diced
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Crumbled bacon
- Sour cream (one dollop per bowl)
Then head to idahopotato.com for the full directions on how to turn all these elements into a creamy, flavorful soup to remember.
If you're vegan like me, all the non-vegan ingredients are easily substituted:
- Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
- Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base
- Soy milk and olive oil mix
- Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- McCormick Bac'n Pieces
- Follow Your Heart Sour Cream
Happy Homemade Soupin'!