Idaho Celebrates Martin Luther King Jr
He had a Dream...one that is still being realized over 50 years since his death. Idaho celebrates the life and movement that was Martin Luther King Jr.
The iconic speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial still resonates around the world, as well as the Gem State. The Civil Rights leader who's dream it was to see a world where there is no judgment no hate and no violence was one of the most influential and moving speakers of all time. Around the Treasure Valley, there are many events you can take the kids to be part of this week.
- Idaho Foodbanks MLK Day National Day Of Service - You are invited to volunteer with the Foodbank today and give back.
- Poster Making, Rally and Mark For MLK "Day Of Greatness"- Starting at the BSU Student Union come and make posters of support of MLK, and take to the streets just after 10:30 with a march down to the Capitol Building in Downtown Boise.
- MLK Breakfast Jan 21st. - Free breakfast will be provided and the MLK Living Legacy Committee will be on hand to share their perspectives on the meaning of Dr. King’s legacy through poetry and spoken word. Participants will be asked to draft a plan of action to bring the legacy alive in their respective lives.
- MLK Movie Night Jan 17th. "Southside With You" from Executive Producer Jon Legend starts tomorrow night at 7 PM at Boise State University. The movie follows the first meeting and date of President Barak Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama.
- MLK Living Legacy Annual Keynote Speaker Tavis Smiley Jan. 23rd- PBS Broadcastings Tavis Smiley delivers a moving speech on "Why MLK's Message Still Counts" on Monday Janurary23rd in the Student Union's Jordan Ballroom
Whichever way you and your family are celebrating this week, the message still rings clear. Thank you Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - JD