Summer Guide for Outdoor Movies in the Treasure Valley
It's an amazing right of passage into summer...taking the family to enjoy an outdoor movie under the stars and in come cases for free...which by the way rhymes with wheeeee. There are a lot of places to see an outdoor movie in our valley and here's a complete guide of places and movies you can see this summer:
Movies under the Stars in Boise is a movie experience that’s different almost every time, because not only is the movie different, but movies are shown in different Boise Park locations.
The fun begins at 7 p.m. with free games for kids provided by the Boise Parks and Recreation Mobile Recreation Van. Kids will enjoy capture the flag, dodge-ball and other field games.
At dusk, family-friendly movies are shown on a huge 30’ inflatable movie screen.
The free family movies and fun are presented by Boise Parks and Recreation and the Boise Schools Education Foundation with support from Wesselman Solutions.
Movies and locations include:
- June 17: Sing - Julia Davis Park, 700 S Capitol Blvd.
- June 24: The Secret Life of Pets - Bowden Park, 3230 W Edson St.
- July 15: Moana - Julia Davis Park, 700 S Capitol Blvd.
- July 22: Pete's Dragon - Sunset Park, 2625 N 32nd St.
- August 5: Finding Dory - Ivywild Park, 416 W Ivywild St.
- August 12: LEGO Batman - Fort Boise Park, 155 E Garrison Rd.
- August 19: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Julia Davis Park, 700 S Capitol Blvd.
- August 26: BFG - Molenaar Park, 2815 S Maple Grove Rd.
According to their web site, here are some tips for a Perfect “Movies Under the Stars” night out
- Please leave your pets at home!
- Please DO NOT drop off your children and leave them unattended.
- Lock your bicycles in designated bike racks. Please don’t lay your bike on the ground next to you; we are trying to allow as many people as possible to enjoy the movies.
- Don’t forget bug spray.
- Bring a flashlight.
- Bring a blanket to wrap up in, it can get cold in the evening.
- Trash cans and recycle bins will be available, please leave the park as clean as you found it.
- This is a DRUG-FREE family friendly event, NO alcohol and NO smoking please!
For more information visit the Boise Public Schools Education Schools Education Foundation Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/BPSEF.
Every Friday night at Settler's Park in Meridian, a family-friendly movie is shown to the public for free with Cable One Movie Night in Meridian. There are bounce houses and giveaways each week. Also, a concession stand is available for snacks and refreshments.
- June 2 - Moana
- June 9 - Pete's Dragon
- June 16 - The Secret Life of Pets
- June 23 - Storks
- June 30- Sing
- July 7 - Kubo and the Two Strings
- July 14 - Beauty and the Beast
- July 21- Up
- July 28 - 101 Dalmatians
- August 4 - Finding Dory
- August 11 - BFG
- August 18 - The Jungle Book
- August 25 - Lego Batman
Nampa Parks and Recreation also offer movie nights at Optimist Park. All movies start at dusk…which for the Treasure Valley is very late because it doesn’t get dark till between 9:30 and 10, so plan on a pretty late night.
- June 16 - Trolls
- June 23 - Kubo and the Two Strings
- June 30 - The Secret Life of Pets
- July 7 - Storks
- July 14 - Finding Dory
- July 21 - The Lego Batman Movie
- July 28 - Moana
- August 4 - Sing
- August 11 - Zootopia
- August 18 - Pete's Dragon
For a completely different and nostalgic movie watching experience, don’t forget about the Terrace Drive-In in Caldwell….if you want to check out their movies, they have no updated web site, but you can call 455-1433 to check the latest updated movie showings.
And if you want to drive a little farther head to Parma for a movie at the Parma Motor-Vue Drive In
Copy this link to have all summer...and share with friends, the more the merrier....just one more reason why we live in the best area ever, right?